Monday, May 3, 2010

Fatigue

Taken from: A Gentle Spirit: Devotional Selections for Today’s Christian Woman
Selection by: Mary W. Tileston

“For which cause we faint not; but though our outward man perish, yet the inward man is renewed day by day.” 2 Corinthians 4:16

Let my soul beneath her load
Faint not through the o’erwearied flesh;
Let me hourly drink afresh
Love and peace from Thee, my God!
--- Richter


“In my attempts to promote the comfort of my family, the quiet of my spirit has been disturbed. Some of this is doubtless owing to the physical weakness; but, with every temptation, there is a way of escape; there is never any need to sin. Another think I have suffered loss from -- entering into the business of the day without seeking to have my spirit quieted and directed. So many things press upon me, this is sometimes neglected; shame to me that it should be so.

This is of great importance, to watch carefully – now I am so weak – not to overfatigue myself, because then I cannot contribute to the pleasure of others; and a placid face and a gentle tone will make my family more happy than anything else I can do for them. Our own will gets sadly into the performance of our duties sometimes.” – Elizabeth T. King

No comments:

Post a Comment