Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Caraline's Story Part II


 
Monday, July 2 rolled around and we woke up bright and early, ready to have a baby.  We were prepared to be in the delivery room all day waiting for the Pitocin to do its thing.  When we finally got settled into the room, the nurse told us that Dr. Walker like to turn the Pitocin up by four increments every hour, instead of one or two like some of the other doctors.  I had no idea what that meant so I just rolled with it.  I was dilated 1 ½ cm when we arrived, just like I had been for the past two weeks or so. We watched an American Pickers marathon on tv and visited with my mother in law Jan.  I was feeling contractions but they weren’t too strong. I was prepared to hold off on getting the epidural as long as I could stand it.  I didn’t want it to slow things down too much.  At 9:30ish, I was 4-5 cm and beginning to be in some pain.  I went ahead and requested another bag of fluid so that the anesthesiologist could put in the epidural in when I was ready.  About half way through the bag I was ready.  The nurse  Around 10:30, my parents brought Ellasyn up to see us. She had a lot of questions about all the tubes and machines and wondered why I was in bed. The nurse checked again and I was about 6 cm.  Mom and Dad were taking Ellasyn to the mall for lunch and a carousel ride.  Gara was going to feed her kiddos and get them down for a nap. 

It wasn’t too long before I was nodding off and the nurse came in and asked if I was feeling any pressure.  Actually, yes, I guess I am feeling some pressure. (that epidural sure was great!) I was sort of ignoring it because I really did want to take nap. She checked me and I was 10 cm! Ethan sent some urgent texts and the nurse paged Dr. Walker.  Dr. Walker had a scheduled c-section and may not be able to get here in time.  Aw, man! Really?  Once again, God is good!  She delayed the section so that she could deliver Caraline.  She is pretty great.  After a couple 3-push contractions, Dr. Walker arrived. One more round and Gara was there. Two more round and here came Caraline!


She was perfect! A little bruised due to her quick arrival, but all in one piece, ten fingers, ten toes, a mop of brown hair and blue eyes.
More pics: Part II - Pictures

No comments:

Post a Comment